3.2K views
3.3
Turnaround Time

Every year, I catch TurboTax sneaking in their fees for services I don't want and every year, I'm good at catching it all except for this year, there was no way around it, short of not using their services.

I chose their Free State filing and $29.99 for Federal.

Everything was going smoothly, even opting out of their MAX Benefits which include Audit Defense, Tax Identity Restoration and Priority Care. However, while reviewing the Refund Agreement, I noticed they wanted me to sign for a $34.99 fee for MAX Benefits. I looked up their self-help on how to go back and remove this benefit was utterly bogus. It's almost as if this question applied to last year's tax returns.

I went back to review where I had opted out and opted out again but yet again, it was still listed on the Agreement. After going through their self help section again, I found an explanation that this $34.99 charge was for the fee their 3rd party bank charged TurboTax put your refund into your bank account. However, I get an email the next day confirming my Audit Defense certificate. I logged back onto Turbotax.com and viola!

- have MAX benefits I didn't want and couldn't get around.My service fees are never what Turbotax advertises when I starte and this was the last straw for me.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss pricing issue of intuit tax software and associated monetary loss in the amount of $35. Intuit needs to issue a full refund according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned intuit tax software in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Intuit.

Had an Experience with Intuit?

Comments

Benicia, California, United States #1282849

Same thing happend to me i was pissed

Sacramento, California, United States #1282740

Had a similar issue this year.Unchecked the Audit Defense but then had to make a change in my forms.

It automatically accepted the Audit Defense this time and I was billed for it. Called Turbo Tax and the representative agreed with me that it was a sneaky tactic, 'like a grocery store putting candy at the checkout line'. But because I missed the 'uncheck' box they could not refund my money. It was now a contract.

Very deceptive.I have been using Turbo Tax for years, but now I am DONE.

Are you sure it was for MAX benefits?The dollar amount you shared is the fee for filing the state with the federal.

When you file state and federal through Turbotax, there are 3 fees. One for federal (29.99). One for state (free for you).

And one fee for filing together (34.99).Not sure if this is the case for you, but those are the exact charges for mine.

I'm in the middle of this right now.I keep going back and forth.

I guess if you want to pay for the software with your refund it costs you $39.99. Bogus!

But it says if you have Turbotax Premier it should be included as well but that doesn't seem to be the case.I'll update when I figure out a work around, but it looks like paying for the software out of your refund costs.

I declined this as well, and was still billed for it (no way to disable at that point without starting over).

Yes have the same issue been using turbo tax for 10 years never again !!

Same happened to me.I clearly clicked that I didn't want it and look at my bill and it charged me.

Seriously pissed at this, not dealing with these guys again.There webpage may look good with animations and high development costs but just know where that money came from, scammed customers.

I had the exact same issue when I filed today... currently trying to decide if it is worth my time to lodge a complaint.

50.00 local for 2015 turbo tax deluxe and with that I can only print 1 state return.Any more than that and the printed state return prints with large letters across entire page saying "do not file form is not complete ".

50.00 is way to much to only be allowed one printed state return.

Buyer beware!