Featured Resolved
3.7
Poster increased review rating.

Update by user May 31

TurboTax investigated my claim and could not confirm that I was notified in a timely manner when they discovered their miscalculation in January. They reached out, issued a check payment for the amended taxes due for $711.

I paid the state, and luckily no penalty had been assessed yet. There is no longer a balance due to the state.

Original review posted by user Apr 30

I filed my 2018 taxes on 1/16/19 using TurboTax FreeFile. They were accepted and the state direct deposited $892 (2018 refund) into my checking account on 2/20/19.

On 3/20/19, I received an email from TurboTax admitting a calculation error on their part (Oregon Schedule OR-A). They advised me to resubmit my 2018 state taxes. When I submitted the amended return, I then owed $711 that I no longer had since it had been 1 month since the state paid me. I called TurboTax the same day (3/20/19) to get more information as to why the calculation error happened and more importantly, why I was notified so late.

Please note that my boyfriend, Korbin Stein, filed his taxes with the TurboTax Free-file on 1/16/19 and received a TurboTax "calculation error" email on 1/31/19 (nearly 2 months prior to my miscalculation email was received). The email advised him that TurboTax made a calculation error and that he would need to resubmit. He resubmitted before the state paid him, so his refund was corrected and he doesn't owe. Both of the error calculation emails we received both mention "Oregon Schedule OR-A", but are worded slightly different and are from 2 different email addresses (his was from IntuitElectronicFilingCenter@intuit.com; my email was from CustomerResponse@e.turbotax.intuit.com).

This confirms these emails were mailed out separately, and I still haven't gotten a reason as to why I wasn't notified within the same timeframe as Korbin Stein. I have these email copies to provide. I called TurboTax back on 4/10/19 and spoke to a Tier I representative (Tamilia) who agreed this was an unusual and a rare occurrence (she had never heard of this before) and that this issue deserved special treatment. She transferred me to a Tier II, Dana (tax support) who advised I be transferred to the Escalations department.

I was transferred and spoke with Walter. He reviewed my account remotely and could see the emails I am referring to as well as my 2018 tax filings. He agreed something needed to be done to rectify the multiple errors, promised to review my account further and to call me back by 4/11-4/12 at the latest. He provided me with Case #449-535-961.

He still has not called or emailed me back. I called the evening of 4/12 to follow up and spoke with Tamika. She transferred me to Escalations (Jamija) who submitted a request for one of the presidents to respond to me as there is no higher department I could speak to. She said I would very likely be able to receive the $711 I now owe to the state plus the 5% interest that has been accruing ever since 4/15/19.

She provided me an "OOP" reference number of 1162. She said the president ALWAYS responds within 24-48 hours via email or phone. If for some reason they didn't, she advised me to call back and ask for a supervisor. I still have not heard anything from a president.

I called back on 4/17/19 and spoke to Jan who transferred me to escalations (Henry). He assured me someone would respond back to me, but I have still not heard anything as of today (4/23/19). I have spent a cumulative of about 5-6 hours on the phone with TurboTax already, and I feel they are not holding up their blatant promises to back their product. Not one of the representatives I have spoken to has been able to tell me why this calculation error occurred, why TurboTax sent notification so late (over 2 months after I filed) or any assurance that this type of issue wouldn't happen again.

They fail to return calls and follow up when they promise to. TurboTax "100% guarantees" their calculations - it's stated all over their website. How can customers trust TurboTax when they receive a tax refund? Are they expected to sit on their money until tax day passes?

After filing this complaint with the BBB, I miraculously received a call on 4/29/19 from someone named Sheryl from the president's office (not an actual president, as previously promised). She thought I had already spoken to someone in the office named Ben (what internal communication!), but I assured her that no one had reached out to me via email or phone. She tried to blame the state for the late notice (I corrected her, letting her know of TurboTax's email to Korbin on 1/31), then she tried to say my email went to spam (I corrected her, saying I saw it go straight to my inbox on 3/20/19 and called TurboTax the same day). I reiterated that the 2 emails were from separate TurboTax senders and my email was received right away in my inbox on 3/20/19.

She could neither confirm or deny that she was calling 1) in response to the BBB complaint I filed and 2) that this situation is a rare, unique circumstance (which should be regarded as such). She clearly did not read all the facts or consider them before calling me. You would think after a customer has spent hours on the phone explaining an issue over and over again, she would have the decency to READ any of TurboTax's internal notes and this BBB complaint. She thought it very unlikely TurboTax would be willing to fully reimburse me due to their policy of only reimbursing penalties or fees up to the first notice (what about your 100% calculation guarantee?).

All she could offer were her apologies that customer service never responded to me as promised, and she was not able to provide any real resolution or answers to my questions. She said she would investigate further, but I seriously doubt any willing response back from TurboTax.

Product or Service Mentioned: Intuit Turbotax Tax Software.

• Guarantee Not Honored